The Music In Africa portal is owned and governed by the Music In Africa Foundation, a non-profit organization formed on 27 July 2013 in Kenya. The Foundation is officially registered in South Africa.
Aims And Objectives
The broad objectives of the Music In Africa Foundation include (but are not limited to):
- providing reliable and useful information that promotes the African music sector and its operators;
- connecting and promoting exchange between music operators from, or related to, Africa and its diasporas;
- promoting and encouraging the creation of content by Africans, about Africa or related to Africa and its diasporas;
- improving the distribution, accessibility and viability of such content;
- promoting the spirit of entrepreneurship among the African music sector;
- enhancing music education;
- facilitating and promoting, through research, development and education, the use by professionals and audiences of current and future technologies; and
- providing one single and viable access point for all of the above that links existing initiatives, services and resources.
In carrying out these objectives the Music In Africa Foundation aims, inter alia:
- to create a website or other online medium to serve as a portal for information collection and dissemination;
- to facilitate the discovery of existing music in Africa by enabling users to listen to it at its portals;
- to act as a platform for interaction and sharing of reliable information about the African music sector;
- to organise seminars, workshops and other events aimed at the African music sector;
- to commission relevant research in relation to the African music sector;
- to support the African music sector through capacity building and education; and
- to conduct advocacy aimed at protecting the interests of musicians through (but not limited to) awareness campaigns and lobbying in the area of intellectual property right protection.
Music In Africa Foundation Board
The current Music In Africa Board is chaired by Ribio Nzeza Bunketi Buse from the Democratic Republic of Congo and deputy chairperson Aisha Deme (Senegal). Other board members are: treasurer Belisa Rodrigues (South Africa), Bill Odidi (Kenya), Andre Le Roux (South Africa) and Seta Ramaroson (Madagascar), plus representatives from the Goethe-Institut (Henrike Grohs) and Siemens Stiftung (Jens Cording). The director of the Music In Africa Foundation is Eddie Hatitye.
Offices in Africa
The head office of Music In Africa is situated in Johannesburg, South Africa. In addition Music In Africa has regional bureaus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Nigeria and Senegal. These locations all have editors who work on the content of the website, as well as other duties of the Foundation.
The Music In Africa Foundation has members in different countries. If you would be a member of the Foundation request more information by sending an email to [email protected] In the very near future users will be able to apply for membership online.[“Source-ndtv”]