Article: African-American Museum’s Sports Gallery Wins a Following: Athletes
Watch the YouTube video below, of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James at the opening of the 2016 ESPY Awards — awards given in recognition of individual and team athletic achievement.
Consider what the men are saying, and where they are saying it. What are their messages?
Questions for Comprehension and Analysis
1. What did Justise Winslow, a forward on the Miami Heat, say about what he saw and how he felt at the National Museum of African American History and Culture?
2. List four teams and two players who have visited the museum. What did Michael Jordan do before the museum opened?
3. What was one of the founding principles behind the permanent sports exhibition, according to the gallery’s curator, Damion Thomas? What does Mr. Thomas say is the gallery’s focus?
Continue reading the main story
4. What do Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns and Mr. Winslow have to say about the power of athletes’ voices, and their positions as role models?
5. What is the Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program, and what did the Yankees pitcher C. C. Sabathia have to say about it? What was one of Mr. Sabathia’s most memorable exhibits at the museum, and why?
What Do You Think?
How has the museum, and the history it exhibits, become a galvanizing force for all athletes, and African-American athletes in particular?